With PostgreSQL being a popular database, AWS has decided on some new features to support it. Amazon RDS now supports version 9.5 of PostgreSQL, as well as versions 9.4.7 and 9.3.12.
The following new features are used for 9.5
- UPSERT – Means “INSERT ON CONFLICT UPDATE”. This allows the database to handle any conflicts between changes to data rows. It also simplifies application development.
- Row Level Security – RLS enforces data access control on each row and column, while working with external label-based security stacks.
- Big Data features – the latest PostgreSQL version lets you integrate with Big Data systems.
- BRIN Indexing — makes small but efficient indexes.
- Faster sorting – abbreviated keys allow the sort to finish sooner.
- CUBE,ROLLUP and GROUPING SETS – lets you create reports with different summarization levels.
- Foreign Data Wrappers (FDWs) –IMPORT FOREIGN SCHEMA and JOIN pushdown lets you make easy queries to outside databases.
- TABLESPACE– lets you make a statistical sample of large tables without costly sorting.
AWS has also provided a schema tool that supports conversions between MySQL and PostgreSQL. You can convert freely from one to the other. You may also use it to convert any MySQL compatible engine such as Amazon Aurora.
Considering a jump into the cloud? Let PolarSeven introduce you to the power and flexibility of cloud databases. Contact us today.