The AWS Data Migration Service lets you move your critical data from on-site or cloud databases or data warehouses to Amazon databases and data warehouses. These include services such as Amazon Aurora, Amazon RedShift, MySQL, MariaDB and PostgreSQL.
This has proven so flexible and cost-effective for users that since a year ago, more than 20,000 unique databases have migrated to AWS using AWS Data Migration Service.
This service has helped users save on data storage. Amazon Aurora, for instance, provides a MySQL and PostgreSQL-compatible at 10% of the price for a commercial database.
The Data Migration Service also improves over time. In the recent months AWS has rolled out the following improvements.
- Redshift included as a migration target.
- Highly-available architecture for ongoing replication.
- Included SSL-enabled endpoints & support for Sybaseboth for a migration source and target.
- Oracle SSL connections supported.
- Support for events and event subscriptions.
- Allowed migration from Oracle and Teradata data warehouses to Amazon Redshift.